Friday 10 July 2015

A Reflection on the Standards of Practice


I wasn’t sure if I wanted to post this privately on the forum or right on my blog, but as I reflect on both the Ethical Standards and Standards of Practice I think this is the best way for me to show care, respect, trust and integrity. Afterrall, this would be a conversation I would openly have with parents, administrators and colleagues.

What is my responsibility as both an educator and learner to uphold these standards?


Commitment to Students and Student Learning


I strive to "treat students equitably and with respect” and I’m “sensitive to factors that influence individual student learning” for example, I need to teach the way they learn and continually individualize my practice to ensure that I’m doing that.

Professional Knowledge


I’m also responsible to “strive to be current” in my professional knowledge and how it relates to my practice. Worksheets, drill and kill, memorization, although they are “old” methods, don’t they benefit some students? Am I not taking away from the students that do learn this way? Just because inquiry based learning improves engagement, if I have a class that keeps asking me to read from the textbook and answer questions, don’t I owe them the sensitivity and respect to teach them that way as well?

Professional Practice


I’m meant to refine my professional practice through “ongoing inquiry, dialogue and reflection.” What if I happen to be in a building where there is little dialogue and reflection happening about my teaching practice and my students, should I not seek it somewhere else? This is why I found twitter and edublogs and haven't looked back.


Leadership in Learning Communities


I’ve never considered myself a leader, I’ve had to personally redefine leadership. I know that every single grade partner I’ve had, sometimes just one (or half), has appreciated me as a colleague and co-learner. I would question and challenge and voice out new and sometimes crazy ideas even though most times I was new to the grade curriculum. Since I’m committed to professional learning and I’m informed by experience, research and collaboration, what am I to do when teachers don’t want to dialogue with me? What if some colleagues would see me coming down the hall and walk the other way thinking, “what new/tech/innovative teaching practice will she try to push on me today?” I think being a leader in this profession is knowing when people want to hear my message and being fine when people don’t. Sometimes, if the conversation allowed I would say, oh you could try this this them! But they know their students best, who am I to tell them what to do? Don’t I trust that they are doing their best and upholding standards as best as they can? Just because they weren’t ready for the message just yet, I can continue to lead by example.


Even Mrs. C needs a break from me ;)
How fantastic is it that these standards encourage innovation, risk taking and on-going learning! Not only that, but I have the potential of a global audience to collaborate and dialogue with.

2 comments:

  1. Your statement about feeling isolated in the work environment, school or district resonates strongly with me. As you note, Social Media has become a strong source of community and tools like Twitter, Google Plus or Facebook (many others too!) are only now being recognized as respected networks. I started on Twitter about 7 years ago and became very 'tight' with some networks beyond my own school or district and had the opportunity to learn and dialogue from some of the most respected educators. But this had it's drawbacks as well. There was a point, that I stopped trying to participate in the more immediate community (the school environment) because what I was getting felt so much more rich then what I could get at the school level. In looking back, I isolated myself. I am still looking for that perfect balance. I wonder, have you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've found it, only because I always make an effort to not isolate myself. As much as I need to work through lunch most days, I make the effort to eat lunch with my wonderful colleagues in the staff room :)

    ReplyDelete