Sunday 5 July 2015

Creative Commons: A Conundrum

Last year we really focused on creating media products to show our learning. My amazing teaching partner Mrs. Ciarloni did several lessons on plagiarism, the Creative Commons, copyright, etc. My huge focus was on giving credit when credit is due and the use of photographs in their own work.

Here's Julia, Abby and Josh's parable from last year. The script was written by them, during my Religion class, from an assignment created by Mrs. Ciarloni. They used their voices using my Sock Puppet app that I purchased on my iPad. I uploaded it on my youtube channel and since it was three clips, I did the final editing and put it together for them. I asked their permission to share it and they said yes. Who owns the video? Can I still share it even though they are no longer in my class?


The school sends out a permission form at the beginning of the year where parents sign off on displaying student work and photographs. The first time I posted student work on my blog, I asked the parent if it was ok and she did say yes. Does this permission form cover tweets, youtube and other media?

Since we will have more iPads next year, I will show them how to put watermarks on their photographs. I'm hoping they will create more than consume and take credit when credit is due.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful example of collaboration and creativity. You also share some really good questions. I often hesitate before sharing any of my student work, or even an image of their work as I worry about exploitation and I wonder, are they really old enough to understand what it means for someone else to share their work? I do see teachers sharing student work 'online' all the time and I crosses my mind - Who is benefiting here, the teacher or student?

    ReplyDelete